About Me

My photo
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain.

Sunday, January 29, 2012

"Stickiness"

So, in my job we use a term called "stickiness". It refers to the way in which lessons are taught and remembered by clients through a connection between the lesson and something the client finds interesting. For example, if a student was really interested in dragons, we might somehow teach social skills using an expereintial activity involving dragons.

Currently, I am assigned to work with a client (I will call her Jane) through animal assisted therapy. Every week a woman comes in with her dog and we all interact together. I have used animals as this "stickiness" tool to somehow connect with her. When she first arrived, Jane hardly spoke to anyone, and any communication was limited to little more than a shrug.

Through animal assisted therapy and a creation of a set of social goals which will ultimately lead to a chance for her to do some horsevaulting, Jane has opened up more than I could have hoped. Using "stickiness" has allowed me to gain her trust a little every day. I am excited to see what the future holds through this therapy!

No comments: